This blog is no longer active, but I continue to post at the group blog MAGHREB POLITICS REVIEW.

Feb 18, 2009

WSI: the blog of record

Slow going, I know. But here: The New York Times runs a piece about Mauritania and tensions between U.S. anti-terror and pro-democracy commitments that perhaps you should read (h/t Justin). And, darn it, I do think that's my translation of an al-Qaida communiqué that they've used on page 4, even if slightly edited. Google agrees.

That's unfortunate. Because now, while checking if it was really my translation they'd swiped, I stumbled upon a claim in another al-Qaida statement, saying that the communiqué I translated was a fake, although there is of course no guarantee that it isn't that later statement that is in fact the fake one.

The truth of it I don't really care about, but it adds up to the doubly depressing realization that Jihadis suck at public diplomacy and that neither WSI nor NYT is careful enough about checking sources.


Previously on blog theft: Will turns into a Washington power broker, and the fake consultancy outfit Sahel Intelligence first lifts my Algeria posts and then, when caught red-handed, copies someone else instead.

6 comments:

Adrian said...

Too funny. Write a letter to the editor: "Dear NYTimes, when you quoted my blog (without attribution) you inadvertently quoted a possibly false source. I apologize for your error."

alle said...

I think I'll leave it to al-Qaida, they've been more wronged than I in this affair.

Will said...

Congrats!

Laroussi said...

And why don't you ask NYT for economic compensation?

Both you and Will could get a fair amount of money for the copy theft, and if you don't need the cash then just give it to some pro-Saharawi NGO that you like. They surely could use all the money they can get...

+ by raising the issue you could also get more attention to the Saharawi cause.

alle said...

I don't think it's illegal to quote a couple of lines from a non-commercial translation of a press-release on an anonymous blog.

And, also, what goes around comes around. You may have noticed that I occasionally, not to say routinely, spice up my posts with pictures without crediting the photographer or owner.

Laroussi said...

"And, also, what goes around comes around."

Well, there's a major difference between using copyright protected material for non profit use, and using it for commercial means.

NYT can ask you to remove their photo (if it's theirs) but you can sue them since they have printed your work without even giving you credit.

The same goes for the material Will used on his site.

And, in the US there are plenty of lawyers who sue for a percentage of the gains. No cost involved for you...

Ask Will, he should know.